Sausage Cheese Biscuits
Servings 20 biscuits
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour 360g
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Pizza Dough Flavor optional
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in pats 113g
- 1 cup yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream (low-fat is fine) 227g
- 2 cups breakfast sausage, cooked and sliced (½" pieces) 340g
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, diced 113g
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Pizza Dough Flavor. Add the butter, cut in pats.
- Work in the butter till the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the sausage and cheese, mixing to distribute. Add the yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream.
- Mix just till everything is evenly moistened.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment or a lightly floured work surface. Pat and roll it into an 8″ x 10″ rectangle about 3/4″ thick.
- Cut the dough into twenty 2″ squares.
- If you’ve been working on parchment, simply lift the parchment onto a baking sheet. Separate the biscuits so there’s about 1″ between them. If the biscuits aren’t on parchment, space them on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving about 1″ between them.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they’re a medium- to deep-golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven, and cool them on a rack briefly. Serve warm.
- Tips from our Bakers
- Make now, bake later: these biscuits are a great candidate for the freezer. Simply make biscuits, shape, and place on a pan. Freeze, then transfer to a plastic bag for storage. When you’re ready to bake, remove them from the freezer, place on a pan, brush with cream, and bake as directed. They’ll take maybe 5 minutes longer, since they’re frozen.