- 2 cups yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil in deep skillet or fryer to 375°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients except the baking powder. Pour in enough hot water to make a thick mush, making sure all ingredients are moistened. Add milk, egg and baking powder and mix thoroughly.
- Drop by spoonfuls (or use a small ice cream scoop) into oil, and fry until golden brown.
- Marvelous with fish or shellfish. Fried catfish and hush puppies are a particularly classic combination.
These delectable little balls of fried seasoned cornbread are incredibly addictive. Be careful; it’s easy to fill up on these!