- For Avocado Hummus
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 15- oz can chickpeas, drained (or roughly 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 medium ripe avocados, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt omit if vegan
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper or Aleppo pepper more to your liking
- ½ lime juice or more to your liking
- Liquid from canned chickpeas if needed
- In a large food processor, fitted with a blade, add the hummus ingredients (garlic, chickpeas, avocados, Greek yogurt, tahini, salt, cumin, cayenne and lime juice). Run the food processor to blend until the hummus mixture is smooth.
- Test, and if it’s too thick, add a very little bit of the chickpeas canning liquid. Run the processor again until you achieve the desired creamy consistency. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the avocado hummus to a serving dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap (if you press the plastic warp well, it will help prevent air from changing the color of the avocado hummus). Chill a few minutes before serving. Uncover and smooth the surface of the hummus and drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Garnish with fresh parsley or another herb if you like.
- Enjoy with pita bread or pita chips.
Bonus Salsa Verde Recipe: clean the food procoessor. Add 5 cut up tomatillos (or 2 green tomatoes), a large handful of cilantro, 1 small and roughly chopped red onion, 1 jalapeno pepper, roughly cut, 1 garlic clove, lime juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Season with a bit of kosher salt. Pulse the food processor a few times to blend. For even more creamy avocado Hummus: This is completely optional, but you can work on the chickpeas a bit for an even creamier finish. Boil the canned chickpeas in their juices with a bit more water for 15 minutes or so. Peel the chickpeas by rubbing handfuls under running water (see how I do this in my earlier hummus tutorial). Tip for Leftovers: Store leftover avocado hummus, tightly wrapped, in the fridge for 2 nights. Salsa verde can also be stored in the fridge separately for 1 night. Visit Our Shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients including spices and extra virgin olive oil used in this recipe.